Thursday, October 15, 2009

Why do students skip school?

According to ED.gov "Truancy is not the problem -- it's an indicator of other problems. When students aren't in school, we need to understand why they stay away before we can effect solutions."

Why do students cut classes or miss full days of school?Is it because they don’t like it, is it to hard, or are they bad into drugs? What if they get bullied? My biggest problem with truancy was that I didn’t like to get up in the morning. I missed over one hundred days of school, but not all at once. I went two or three days in the week, but I didn’t think about it all adding up. They sure did though. At the end of the school year, I found out that I was pregnant. I was scared, only fourteen, and still in middle school.

That’s when everything made sense, and I just realized that I had to go to school. No one could make me go to school. It was all up to me. No one can make me do or like anything. It’s up to me to make my own choices.

But, that means I couldn’t take anyone’s advice. The truancy law is great. If there was never a law then I would have never got in trouble, and if I would have never gotten into trouble then I would have never gotten pregnant. And, if I had never gotten pregnant then I would have never realized that school was very, very important. My baby is the reason I get up in the morning.Now this doesn’t mean I am encouraging young teens to get pregnant.

I am embarrassed to be pregnant at age fourteen. I would have much rather waited until I was out of college and had a career. I am still scared that I am going to fail. Sometimes, I wonder if I am going to fail to make it anywhere in life, but I think I really would have been stuck if I didn’t have an education. I’m thankful for all the trouble I got into, and I’m also thankful for the people that cared like my mother and my caseworker.

Why do students skip school?

2 comments:

  1. Really nice post Holly. I believe you will succeed. You show a strong desire and you have a strong support system. Keep up the good work and know we are here to help you any way we can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have amazing writing skills Holly! I know you will succeed in all you set out to do.

    ReplyDelete