Monday, October 19, 2009

Have you ever heard the song...




“dear Mr. President,” by Pink? Some people may not have because they don’t play it on the radio much. This is sad because it is a good song. Instead of just a whole lot of rhyming words, this song uses expression, like all songs should. The fifth line in this song is “I’d like to ask you some questions if we can speak honestly.” There she brings up our right to speak honestly. The sixth line asks what does the President feel when he sees all the homeless on the street? What does he feel? I know I feel that it isn’t at all right, but is it always his fault?

No, these people could have made bad choices or they may not be able to afford to live. Also, can we blame President Bush for a problem that was years in the making? In the line that says they’re all sitting in your cells, Pink is relating to the youth of today. It is not the president’s fault that people break the laws, so how can we blame him for this? The lines that bring up the war that says, “How do you dream when a mother has no chance to say good bye.” I think it is the President’s fault that we went into war, so I can understand why Pink would include this in her song.

A lot of people may feel differently about this song than I do. I agree with some things, and I don’t agree with others. However, I think this song needs to be played on the radio so people can be aware of what our world is coming to. We could make our world such a better place. Some people are selfish and don’t care about others. Some are shooting people for no apparent reasons. I think we should try to make our world a better place.

I believe this is what Pink is trying to accomplish. She used her right of freedom of expression to show us what is wrong with our country. Now, we accept our responsibility as productive citizens to help correct the wrongs. How do we do that, I wonder? And, wouldn’t it be great if the world were a lot better?

2 comments:

  1. Holly,

    I agree with you Pink did write this song to make people aware of what life in the United States has become and inspire them to change it for the better. I believe one way we can change the world is to reach out to each other and help each other whenever we can. Thank you for such a thought provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Holly. This was a really good blog post. Songs can be a great way to raise awareness about important social issues. When I was in college, I had my own talk show on the college radio station and i would play songs and then talk about the issues that the lyrics in those songs addressed. I would interview people on my show about the song lyrics and we would have conversations about them.

    ReplyDelete